Head of Laboratory
Ardian Ulvan received the Bachelor of Engineering degree in electrical engineering in 1997 from The University of North Sumatra, Indonesia, Master degree in Computer and Networks Engineering from Sheffield Hallam University, UK in 2001, and the Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology from Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic in 2008. He is with Department of Electrical Engineering, The University of Lampung, Indonesia, since 1999. He is currently working as research fellow and visiting professor at wireless networks research group department of telecommunication engineering, Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic.
His research activities focused on the improvement of Medium Access Control (MAC) layer functionality of broadband wireless system in multi-hop and multi-cell environment, particularly in term of handover functionality, mechanism and procedure. They were part of EU’s research projects Flexible Relay Wireless OFDM-based Networks (FIREWORKS, 2006–2007, http://fireworks.intranet.gr/), Reconfigurable OFDMA-based Cooperative Networks Enabled by Agile Spectrum Use (ROCKET, 2008–2009, http://ict-rocket.eu/) and Femtocell-based Network Enhancement by Interference Management and Coordination of Information for Seamless Connectivity (FREEDOM, 2010–2011, http://ict-freedom.eu/). Those research projects are funded by FP6 and FP7 STREP-ICT EU (http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/home_en.html).
His research works also consider on the implementation of centralised and distributed relay management in mobile environment, as well as the mobility prediction method for handover purposes. The IEEE 802.16e is used as a basic standard of wireless broadband access in cooperation with the new and on progress standards of IEEE 802.16j and 802.16m respectively. As the standards are new and still under development, other standards and technologies e.g., 3G-UMTS and 3GPP LTE have also been considered for selected purposes, since they have proved the capability on mobile and multi-cell environments and services.
Some achievements have been obtained as follow:
- Notified some aspects influenced the MAC overhead and introduced the efficiency evaluation method of MAC management messages on IEEE802.16.
- Improved MAC functionality on IEEE802.16j by inventing the combined centralised and distributed scheduling, proposing the indexing method in node association procedure for multi-hop scenario, and modification of MAC message sequences.
- Improved MAC functionality on IEEE802.16m by inventing single base station scan mechanism in network topology acquisition, deploying the scanning without association and introducing the handover with fast ranging and pre-registration.
- Enhanced and optimized handover procedure in IEEE802.16m by inventing the novel mechanism and new metric based on the user’s movement prediction, and introducing the new handover strategies called proactive and reactive handovers.
- Introduced scenario and procedure of handover in the new emerging technology of 3GPP-LTE based femtocells networks. It included the analysis of the seamless handover on inter and intra Radio Access Technology and introducing the decision strategy for handover.
- Invented a new procedure of network entry/re-entry on the integrated IP Multimedia Subsystems and LTE-based femtocell networks by proposing the five-stages attach mechanism and considering the session initiation delay.
Currently he leads the research project SPECTRUM which has the objective investigating and exploiting the concept of Dynamic Spectrum Access (DSA) and Cognitive Radio (CR) technology to develop a viable solution for spectrum and energy efficiencies in mobile and wireless network, particularly for current 4G platform based on LTE/ LTE-advanced technology and for the near future 5G technology. The project is funded by Indonesian Government.
His scientific works has been presented in books, several international conferences and workshops, and published in several international journals:
- Ardian Ulvan, “WiMAX/IEEE802.16: An Introduction to MAC Layer: Basic functionalities and the enhancement of MAC Layer”, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2012. Available at http://www.amazon.com/
Scholarly Book Chapter
- Ulvan, A., Andrlik, V., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R.,”WiMAX Mesh: Multihop Evaluation on MAC Efficiency”, accepted to be published in the book “WIMAX” (Editor: Gianni Pasolini), InTech open Science Publishing, 2013.
- Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“The Efficiency Performance on Handover’s Scanning Process of IEEE802.16m“, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 2009, Volume 308, Wireless and Mobile. Berlin: Springer, p. 321-331. ISBN 978-3-642-03840-2.
- Ulvan, A., Ribiero, D., Bestak, R.,“Multiple Cell Partitions for Increasing CDMA-Based Cell Capacity”, International Federation for Information Processing, 2008, Volume 284, Wireless and Mobile Networking. New York, USA: Springer, p. 383-394. ISBN 978-0-387-84838-9.
- Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“Transmission Performance of Flexible Relay-based networks on the Purpose of Extending Network Coverage”, International Federation for Information Processing, 2008, Volume 245, Personal Wireless Communications. New York: Springer, 2007. p. 99-106. ISBN 978-0-387-74158-1.
Referred Journal Articles
- A. Ulvan, M. Ulvan, R. Bestak. D. Olivia, G.F. Nama, “Spectrum-less Communication by Virtualized Mobile Core Network in 4G Wireless Network”, has been accepted to be published in Telecommunication Systems Journal, Vol. (TBA), Issue. (TBA), 2015.
- H. D. Septama, A. Ulvan, R. Bestak, J. Hlavacek, “Performance Evaluation of VoIP Quality in High Availability Environment”, has been accepted to be published in Telkomnika Journal, Vol. (TBA), Issue. (TBA), 2015.
- A. Ulvan, M. Ulvan, R. Bestak, “Handover Procedure and Decision Strategy in LTE-based Femtocell Network”, in Telecommunication Systems Journal, Vol 52 Issue 4, pp 2733-2748, April 2013. ISSN: 1018-4864 (print), 1572-9451 (online).
- Ulvan, A., Andrlik, V., Bestak, R., “The Overhead and Efficiency Analysis on WiMAX’s MAC Management Message“. The Internetworking Indonesia Journal, 2009, vol.1/no.1, p. 3-9. Internet: http://internetworkingindonesia.org/Vol1-No1-Spring2009/IIJ-Vol1-No1-Ulvan.pdf. ISSN: 1942-9703.
Referred Conference Papers
- A. Ulvan, M. Ulvan, R. Bestak. D. Olivia, G.F. Nama, “Virtualisation of Mobile Core Network by Cloudlet Communication”, in The International Conference on Network And Electronics Commerce (NAEC) 2014 in Trieste, Italy, 21 – 24 August 2014.
- H. D. Septama, A. Ulvan, R. Bestak, J. Hlavacek, “Voice Quality of VoIP in High Availability Environment”, in the International Conference on Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics (EE-CSI) 2014 in Yogyakarta, 20 – 21 August 2014.
- Pranoto, H., Ulvan, A., “Retransmission Issue of SIP Session over UDP Transport Protocol in IP Multimedia Subsystems – IMS”, in the 3rd International Conference on Instrumentation, Communication, Information Technology and Biomedical Engineering, Bandung, Indonesia, November 2013. ISBN 978-1-4779-1649-8.
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R., “Integrated IMS-Femtocell Testbed”, in the 36th International Conference on Telecommunication and Signal Processing, Rome, Italy, July, 2013. ISBN 978-1-4799-0402-0.
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R., “Handover Scenario and Procedure in LTE-based Femtocell Networks”, in NextTech 2010, Silicon Valley: International Academy, Research and Industry Association (IARIA), 2010, p. 213-218. ISBN: 978-1-61208-000-0.*
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R.,”The Study of Handover Procedure in LTE-based Femtocell Network”, in The 3rd Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Network Communication (WMNC 2010), Budapest, Hungary, 2010, p. 24-29. ISBN 978-963-8111-73-9.*
- Ulvan, M., Bestak, R., Ulvan, A., “IMS Signalling in LTE-Based Femtocell Network”, in NextTech 2010, Silicon Valley: International Academy, Research and Industry Association (IARIA), 2010, p. 237-242. ISBN: 978-1-61208-000-0.*
- Ulvan, M., Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,”Network Entry Procedure in Femtocell Network”, in Proceeding of the 2010 Networking and Electronic Commerce Research Conference (NAEC 2010). Dallas, TX: American Telecommunication Systems Management Association Inc., 2010, p. 156-166. ISBN: 978-0-9820958-3-6.*
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R.,“IEEE802.16 MAC Management Messages: The Overhead and Efficiency Analysis in Mesh Topology”, in the 2009 IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communication (MICC 2009). Piscataway, USA: IEEE, 2009, p. We16-2. ISBN 978-1-4244-5532-4.
- Ulvan, M., Bestak, R., Ulvan, A.,”The Study of IMS Functionality in Femtocell Environment”, in the 2009 IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communication (MICC 2009). Piscataway, USA: IEEE, 2009, p. We09-3. ISBN 978-1-4244-5532-4.*
- Ulvan., A., Bestak, R.,“The Analysis of Scanning Time in IEEE802.16m’s Handover Procedure”, in the 16th International Workshop on Systems, Signal and Image Processing (IWSSIP 2009), Chalkida: TEI of Chalkida, Greece, 2009, p. 198971. ISBN 978-1-4244-4530-1.
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R.,”The Enhancement of Handover Strategy by Mobility Prediction in Broadband Wireless Access”, in Proceedings of the 2009 Networking and Electronic Commerce Research Conference (NAEC 2009). Dallas, TX: American Telecommunications Systems Management Association Inc., 2009, p. 266-276. ISBN 978-0-9820958-2-9.
- Ulvan, A., Andrlik, V., Bestak, R.,“The analysis of IEEE 802.16e MAC Layer Overhead and Efficiency in PMP Topology”, in the 5th IEEE Wireless and Optical Communication Networks. Piscataway, USA: IEEE, 2008, p. s14-16. ISBN: 978-1-4244-1980-7.
- Ulvan, M., Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“Mobile IP in Next Generation Intelligent Network”, in Research in Telecommunication Technology (RTT 2008). Bratislava: STU v Bratislave, Slovak Republic, 2008, ISBN 978-80-227-2939-0.
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M., Bestak, R.,”Improving the flexibility and Utilisation of Node Association Procedure in Mesh Mode Based on IEEE802.16e”, in ISSM 2008. Jakarta: Institute for Science and Technology Studies (ISTECS), 2008, p. 152-155. ISSN: 0855-8692.
- Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“Analysing the Flexibility and Utilisation of Node Association MAC Scheduling Mechanism Based on IEEE802.16e”, in Research in Telecommunication Technology 2007 (RTT2007) [CDROM]. Zilina: Univeristy of Zilina, 2007, p. 420-424. ISBN 979-80-8070-735-4.
- Ulvan, A., Ulvan, M.,“IP Multimedia Subsystem – IMS : Converged Network Architecture for the Intelligent Interaction of Network Applications and Services”, in Proceeding of The International Workshop on Digital Technology, 2007. Zilina: Slovenska electrotechnicka spolecnost, 2007. ISBN 978-80-8070-786-6.
- Ulvan, A.,“Increasing the CDMA-based Cell Capacity for Urban Area With Cell Partition”, in Proceeding of Research in Telecommunication Technology, 2006. Brno: Vysoke uceni technicke b Brne, 2006, vol.1, p. 176 – 181. ISBN 80-8070-637-9.
- Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“Transmission Performance of Flexible Relay-based Wireless Networks”, in The 3rd International Workshop in Digital Technology. Zilina: University of Zilina, Faculty of electrical engineering, 2006, vol. 1, ISBN 80-8070-637-9.
Contributions to The IEEE Standards:
- Ulvan, A., Bestak, R.,“Optimized Handover Mechanism for High Speed Mobility”, Contribution to session #66 IEEE 802 LMSC Plenary Session. 15-18 March 2010, Orlando, Florida, USA. Standard contribution No. IEEE C80216m-10_0032.
- Ulvan, A., Becvar, Z., Zelenka, J., and Bestak, R., “Using the Relative Thresholds in Handover Procedure”, Contribution to session #47 802.16 relay TG, 5th Task Group Meeting on Multihop Relay in IEEE 802.16. 15-18 January 2007, London, UK. Standard contribution No. IEEE C80216j-07_086.
Technical Reports (European Union public deliverables):
- Rocket IST-EU, 5D1, “Mechanisms for increasing the efficiency of MAC/PHY protocols”. 2009
- Rocket IST-EU, 5D2, “Specification of a reconfigurable MAC/PHY protocol and guidelines for its application”. 2009.
- Fireworks IST-EU, 3D1,”Design and Specification of MAC in Relay-based Cooperative Networks”. 2008
- Fireworks IST-EU, 3D2,”Specification for the Enhanced WMAN and MLAN MAC Protocol”. 2008
- Fireworks IST-EU, 3D3,”Performance Evaluation and Final Specification of the Enhanced MAC Protocol”. 2008
- Fireworks IST-EU, 2D2, “Advance Radio Resources Management Algorithm in Relay-Based Networks”. 2007
Ardian Ulvan’s scientific profile can be found in the following referred indexing: